Today we are giving you the recipe to make your own Jamaican Beef or Chicken Patties at home.
Jamaican Patties are very tasty snack items and can even be substituted for meals. They can be made spicy or mild, however you like it.
Here, we will give you the recipe to make your own version of this versatile Jamaican product.
So let’s get baking. This one is a little technical but you will get it 🙂
For the pastry:
4 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsps Dried Turmeric or Annatto
2 tsps Salt
8 tbsps Vegetable Shortening
4 oz (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, cold
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps Cold Water
For the filling:
2 tbsps Vegetable Oil or Butter
1 large Onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups chopped)
6 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh Ginger
1 pound Ground Beef
1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric or Annatto – Buy Turmeric here/Buy Annatto here
3/4 tsp Ground Cumin – Buy here
3/4 tsp Ground All Spice – Buy here
1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom – Buy here
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper, seeded and finely chopped, optional
2 sprigs fresh Thyme, finely chopped
3 Green Onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped Parsley
1 pound ripe Tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/2 tsps salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
3/4 cup Water or Beef Stock
3 tbsps Jamaican Rum – Buy here
To assemble the patties:
Flour for rolling out the dough
2 Egg Yolks, beaten with 1 tsp of Rum
1. Sift the Flour, Turmeric, and Salt into a large bowl.
2. Using your fingers, two knives, or a pastry blender, cut in the Shortening and Butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Working quickly, add only enough water to form a firm dough. Do not overwork pastry.
4. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours or overnight.
5. In a large skillet, heat the Oil until hot but not smoking.
6. Add the Onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
7. Add the Garlic and Ginger and cook for 1 minute.
8. Add the Ground Beef, Turmeric, Cumin, All Spice, Cardamom, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, and Thyme and cook until the Beef is browned and spices are fragrant, about 10 minutes.
9. Add the Green Onions, Parsley, Tomatoes, and Stock and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the flavors have come together and almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
10. Season, to taste, with Salt and Pepper, remove from the heat and stir in the Rum.
11. Set aside to cool before assembling the Patties.
12. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
13. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry and cut into circles about 6 to 7 inches in diameter.
14. Spoon a scant 1/4 cup of the cooled filling onto the center of one side of each circle, and lightly brush the edges of the circle with a little of the beaten Egg Yolk mixture.
15. Fold the other half of the pastry over so that the edges meet, and use a fork to crimp the edges together.
16. Lightly brush the top of each patty with a little of the beaten Egg Yolk mixture.
17. Place the patties on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
18. Serve immediately.
Also Read: Jamaican Beef & Callaloo Loaf
What do you think about this recipe? Have you ever had a Jamaican Patty before?