The oxtail is a popular dish on the island of Jamaica.
Oxtail is the tail of cattle that is sliced into sections and can be prepared with many side dishes, plus this delicacy also makes a killer gravy.
The meat normally comes from an Ox, Steer or Bullock (a castrated cow) and averages around 2 – 4 pounds. The gelatinous meat is packed with 23g of protein and can be served in soups or as a stand alone meat item.
Different versions of Oxtail meals can be found in Asia, Africa and South America, but none of them can match the flavor of Jamaica.
Today we will give you the recipe to make your own tasty, mouthwatering Jamaican Oxtail at home.
Difficulty: Medium – Hard (don’t be intimidated by this, you got it!)
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 3 hrs (can be brought down to 1-2 hrs if Pressure Cooker is used)
Got the pot ready? Ok, lets go…
For 6-8 people
2 pounds of Oxtail
1 tin of Broad Beans – Buy here
4 cups of Water
2 Green Onions
1/2 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (use moderately depending on palate, be careful not to add seeds) – Buy here
1/2 pound of Carrots
2 cloves of Garlic
4 sprigs of Fresh Thyme
1/2 teaspoon of All Spice Seasoning – Buy here
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Grace Browning (Adds color to meat) – Buy here
3 Tbps Tomato Ketchup
1. Chop the Green Onions, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Garlic, Onions, Tomatoes, Carrots and Thyme
2. Season the Oxtail with Green Onions, Garlic, Thyme, All Spice Seasoning, Salt and Black Pepper
3. Sear the Oxtail and seasoning in a tablespoon of Oil (well-heated) for about 10 minutes
4. Stir in the Water, Browning, Green Onions, Tomato Ketchup, Carrots, Scotch Bonnet Pepper, turn down the heat and simmer the pot until the Oxtail has softened (about three hours) – a pressure cooker can be used for faster cooking time, stir occasionally
5. Add the Broad Beans and simmer for a further 30 minutes
Serve with Jamaican White Rice or any side of choice 🙂
This makes an awesome meal for birthdays, weddings, office parties or just a regular stay at home dinner. Everyone will be left wanting more of the goodness.
For a hands on tutorial, you can check out this video…
A good Pressure Cooker can go a far way in reducing cooking time. Oxtail and Beef in general normally takes a few hours for the meat to soften and the juices released. Consider getting this tool for your Kitchen, if you haven’t already.
Plus, it can be used for anything that proves a challenge to cook such as Pork, Turkey, raw Peas, etc. (Click images to see details and pricing)
How did you like it? Let us know in the comments below.