Christmas time is a time of family and food in Jamaica. People come together to celebrate the joys of the season and to indulge in great food and company. Christmas time is our Thanksgiving in Jamaica and we make sure that our best foods are placed on the Christmas table. Today our recipe is a popular beverage on the island, especially around Christmas time this tasty drink can be smelt brewing in every country and town household. So grab your ingredients and get ready for the holiday season with this one.
- 1 pound black sorrel
- 2-4 oz. ginger
- 2 quarts water
- wine (optional)
- food coloring (optional)
- 8-12 pimento grains
- Wash sorrel thoroughly, using the fingers to lift it from the water.
- Put into stainless steel container.
- Scrape and wash ginger. Grate and add to the sorrel. Add pimento grains.
- Boil water and pour over sorrel.
- Allow to stand 4-6 hours. Strain.
- Sweeten to taste and add rum to taste.
- Optional: Add your favorite food coloring.
- Add optional wine.
- Serve with ice cubes.
Now go and start brewing your sorrel for the Christmas season, and let me tell you like any other wine it is even better when aged. So by Christmas Day your very young sorrel drink will be the talk of the table.
Courtesy of Jamaicans.com
Visit our online store @ www.shop.recafo.com for your Jamaican sauces and snacks today!
Sign up for our ReCaFo Irie Newsletter now! We deliver the vibe of the islands right to your inbox.