Christmas is the time of year when we eat until we are sick and then make resolutions to regain shape in the new year (which we never do).
If this sounds like you, then you are in for some more bad news, because with this recipe, you will only keep packing on the pounds 😉
The Fruit Cake is one of the most popular desserts in the island of Jamaica, especially at Christmas time.
This cake is spicy, flavorful and will leave you begging for more. With juicy fruits, dizzying rum and a flavor like no other, you will definitely be getting tipsy after this one. Check out the recipe below.
Gather your ingredients and let’s start baking 🙂
For 10 people
- 1/2 pound Margarine
- 1/2 pound Dark Sugar
- 4 medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla/Almond Flavoring – Buy Vanilla here/Buy Almond here
- 1 pound Baking Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 tsps Mixed Spice/Nutmeg – Buy here
- 1 tbsp Browning (for color) – Buy here
- 3 cups Fruit Wine
- 1 cup Rum – Buy here
- 3 cups soaked Mixed Fruits
- 1/2 cup Cherries
- 1/4 cup crushed Peanuts
1. Cream Margarine and Dark Sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually beat in Eggs one at a time. Stir in Vanilla or Almond flavoring.
3. Combine Flour, Baking Powder, Breadcrumbs, Mixed Spice or Nutmeg and mix well.
4. Fold the Flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternately with the Browning, Fruit Wine, Rum, soaked Mixed Fruits, Cherries and crushed Peanuts.
5. Scrape batter into a greased and lined 325 cm (10 inch) baking tin. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 180°C/350°F or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool.
This goes well with another Jamaican Christmas specialty:
Yield: about 12 slices
No one will judge if you want to make this cake every month of the year. We know it is that good. YOLO!
Also Read: Jamaican Bread Pudding with Sorrel Sauce